We returned to Dwellingup with some more participans but this time everything was bone dry. Are attendess were as follows.
Dennis (80 Series LandCruiser diesel)
Rob (GU Nissan Patrol trayback diesel)
Brettski (40 Series LandCruiser petrol)
Here are our travellers at the start of the day. Before we attempted any of the trip notes we had, we decided to to try out the hill that was nearly impossible (in the wet) last time we went out. I thought it'd be much easier in the dry, and it was for Dennis - he just climbed straight up. That's when the fun started...
Stuart tried to follow Dennis up the hill, but then realised that not having limited slip diffs and having limited from suspension travel would be a large disavantage. After much toing and froing involving lots of dust, wheelspin and a few brushes with trees it was decided that Dennis would pull him up to the top. This turned out to be a bit harder than first thought and we nearly dragged Stuart into a huge culvert. Whoops. After this, the consensus was to use a block attached to a nearby sturdy tree and winch him up. This (naturally) worked much better. Now Rob had a go. He didn't have much more success than Stuart even though (in theory) the Patrol is a bit better offroad. We put the problem down to having his leaf springs far too stiff - he had virtually no wheel travel and this hill required it in spades. However, he did (eventually) make it up under his own power. I was going to make an attempt on this hill, but after examining the remains of the last two attempts, I decided not to. There were some huge holes surrounded by large rocks, and there was no traction - everything was fine dust. Even walking down the hill was a problem. Maybe later when I have some diff locks.
Once the hill had been done, we proceeded with our trip notes. Swimming in the Murray River was very nice over lunch.
After lunch we hit a few snags. According to the notes, there was a fallen tree on a fire trail we needed to detour around. There was, in fact, about 15 fallen trees with no detours at all. During the heat of the day (around 1PM) we were making tracks to continue. No photos - I just couldn't be bothered.
At one point we had Rob's Patrol stuck on top of a log. We had a hi-lift jack lifting him up and everyone pulling the log out from underneath. Heavy work...
The thought occured to us that the trees had been felled to discourage use of the track. However, there were no obvious marks where they had been cut - they all looked like they had been burnt in a recent fire and had (coincidentally) fallen across the track.
Needless to say, it was a pretty hard day after lunch.