Brett's list of bits - stuff and things as well as things and stuff...
Talbot Rd   
Thanks to Big Pete for organizing the day - it was a blast...

Big Pete laid on this trip and he promised mud. This was a promise that didn't take long to come true. Much mud and accompanying fun was had. Many vehicles were stuck in varying positions and many recoveries were performed. All up - a top boys day out.

Quite a few takers on the day but only three from West Coast 4x4 - everyone else was away on various other trips. We met at the top of Greenmount hill - it was still drizzling and the hill was in a cloud despite the forecast being for clearing rain. All good signs for mud... Departing relatively promptly we headed towards York and Talbot Rd. Stopping to lock our hubs, we headed off into the bush. About five metres off the road was a nice, deep water hole. Pretty firm underneath to start with but pretty sloppy once I got through as tail end. No-one got stuck here but it wasn't long before the fun started... Just a little further in from this was a nice deep hole. Big Pete was in the lead and drove straight in but not straight back out again. A recovery (naturally) followed. Pete couldn't get out and help because he couldn't get his door open. I studiously avoided that hole but found another slippery bit about 50 metres further on to get stuck in. The second of many more recoveries to come... Next was a nice little run which was deceptively slippery. Again, being tail end I got the worst and (predictably) got stuck. But, I wasn't the only one. One of the Hiluxen followed Big Pete through a very deep water hole and drowned his engine. After an hour or so of fiddling with it (and some lunch consumed by everyone) it eventually started but only by the old pull-start method. Took a while before it ran well... After lunch we spent much time in the PlayPen. While we were there some people from the Rockingham 4WD Club joined us in the mud. A Holden Ute with FJ60 running gear did very well as did a fairly old Landrover. The ruts were all slippery, deep and wet. Big Pete stole most of the show but Pommy Pete had some fun too with the rest of us looking on and then following the trailblazers... After that we headed to the other side of Talbot Rd to another mud patch. We had stopped for afternoon tea but everyone decided it was time for a play. I was having small troubles with water but nothing too serious. I did get stuck in a slippery spot and just after I got recovered we had four cars simultaneously stuck. Big Pete was stuck on flat ground with absolutely no traction, the SWB Patrol was stuck in the same spot I was previously, the GU Patrol was bogged to the axles and the 100 series I'll leave for a moment... So, to the 100 series. While other were recovering the stuck vehicles I had a go at pulling the 100 series out. Going forward with a snatch strap resulted in absolutely no movement from the 100 series at all - just me doing a Jurasic Park trick of sliding around. Going backwards got us no further. Big Pete had a go, figuring that a heavier car would make all the difference. It did (although not quite in the way we had intended) and the snatch strap gave way, denting in the back door of the 100 series. Ouch! Winching was the next bet.

While the winching was set up, Pommy Pete recovered the two Patrols, but only with some difficulty as he was having trouble building up enough speed in the slippery stuff to make the snatch strap do the work. But, eventually they were out. Para: Meanwhile, winching the 100 series out forward didn't work at all, so one of the Hiluxen was put into a position to winch it out backwards. It was anchored to a very large dead tree but we ended up dragging both the tree and the vehicle down the hill towards the Landcruiser. So, a larger (live) tree was used instead. This didn't work either until we used a snatch block with the winch. Finally, one and a half hours later the 100 series came out. The final photo shows where the car was - basically it had bellied out going forwards and had buried the tail in the mud as well. Not a great place to be if you were on your own. At this point we headed towards home. We did get a call from someone in trouble but finding them was difficult and by the time Big Pete got there they had gotten out by themselves. So, we all headed home.

Thanks to Big Pete for organizing the day - it was a blast...
P0004255.JPG P0004256.JPG P0004257.JPG P0004258.JPG P0004259.JPG
P0004260.JPG P0004262.JPG P0004263.JPG P0004264.JPG P0004265.JPG
P0004266.JPG P0004267.JPG P0004268.JPG P0004269.JPG P0004270.JPG
P0004271.JPG P0004272.JPG P0004273.JPG P0004274.JPG P0004275.JPG
P0004276.JPG P0004277.JPG P0004278.JPG P0004279.JPG P0004280.JPG
P0004281.JPG P0004282.JPG P0004283.JPG P0004284.JPG P0004285.JPG
P0004286.JPG P0004287.JPG P0004288.JPG P0004289.JPG P0004290.JPG
P0004291.JPG P0004292.JPG P0004293.JPG P0004294.JPG P0004295.JPG
P0004296.JPG P0004297.JPG P0004298.JPG P0004299.JPG P0004300.JPG
P0004301.JPG P0004302.JPG P0004303.JPG P0004304.JPG P0004305.JPG
P0004306.JPG P0004307.JPG P0004308.JPG P0004309.JPG P0004310.JPG
P0004311.JPG P0004312.JPG P0004313.JPG P0004314.JPG P0004315.JPG
P0004316.JPG P0004317.JPG P0004318.JPG P0004319.JPG P0004320.JPG
P0004321.JPG P0004322.JPG P0004323.JPG P0004324.JPG P0004325.JPG
P0004326.JPG P0004327.JPG P0004328.JPG P0004329.JPG P0004330.JPG
P0004331.JPG P0004332.JPG P0004333.JPG P0004334.JPG P0004335.JPG
P0004336.JPG P0004337.JPG P0004338.JPG P0004339.JPG P0004340.JPG
P0004341.JPG P0004342.JPG P0004343.JPG P0004344.JPG P0004345.JPG
P0004347.JPG P0004348.JPG P0004350.JPG P0004351.JPG P0004352.JPG
P0004353.JPG P0004354.JPG P0004355.JPG P0004356.JPG P0004357.JPG
P0004358.JPG P0004359.JPG P0004360.JPG P0004361.JPG P0004362.JPG
P0004363.JPG P0004364.JPG P0004365.JPG P0004366.JPG P0004367.JPG
P0004368.JPG P0004369.JPG P0004370.JPG P0004371.JPG P0004372.JPG
P0004373.JPG P0004374.JPG P0004375.JPG P0004376.JPG P0004377.JPG
P0004378.JPG P0004379.JPG P0004380.JPG P0004381.JPG P0004382.JPG
P0004383.JPG P0004384.JPG P0004385.JPG P0004386.JPG P0004387.JPG
P0004388.JPG P0004389.JPG P0004390.JPG P0004391.JPG P0004392.JPG
P0004393.JPG P0004394.JPG P0004395.JPG P0004396.JPG P0004397.JPG
P0004398.JPG P0004399.JPG P0004400.JPG P0004401.JPG P0004402.JPG
P0004403.JPG P0004404.JPG P0004405.JPG P0004406.JPG P0004407.JPG
P0004408.JPG P0004409.JPG P0004410.JPG P0004411.JPG P0004412.JPG
P0004413.JPG P0004414.JPG P0004415.JPG P0004416.JPG P0004417.JPG
P0004418.JPG P0004419.JPG P0004421.JPG P0004422.JPG P0004423.JPG
P0004424.JPG P0004425.JPG P0004426.JPG P0004427.JPG P0004428.JPG
P0004429.JPG P0004430.JPG P0004431.JPG P0004432.JPG P0004433.JPG
P0004434.JPG P0004435.JPG P0004436.JPG P0004437.JPG P0004438.JPG
P0004439.JPG P0004440.JPG P0004441.JPG P0004442.JPG P0004443.JPG
P0004444.JPG P0004445.JPG P0004446.JPG P0004447.JPG P0004448.JPG
P0004449.JPG P0004450.JPG P0004451.JPG P0004452.JPG P0004453.JPG
P0004454.JPG P0004455.JPG P0004456.JPG P0004457.JPG P0004458.JPG
P0004459.JPG P0004460.JPG P0004461.JPG P0004462.JPG P0004463.JPG
P0004464.JPG P0004465.JPG P0004466.JPG P0004467.JPG